THE CIDA EMPOWERMENT TRUST (CIDA) is inviting applications from suitably qualifying candidates dedicated to a career in teaching Mathematics or Science to participate in the CIDA Teacher Development Internship Programme.
This innovative programme involves internship in a top Johannesburg private school (Roedean School SA or St John’s College), over the two-year period of the part-time Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) commencing in the 2019 Academic Year at the University of Johannesburg.
During the internship, deserving young candidates passionate about teaching, will benefit from a dedicated mentor providing practical academic support and guidance, exposing interns to diverse teaching environments and best-practice teaching advice and methodologies.
Candidates will participate in a Leadership Development Programme for Teachers, with following key elements:
- Psychosocial support tailored to each participant;
- Training to promote Self-mastery and Life skills;
- Classroom Leadership and Effectiveness;
- Workplace Readiness for the school environment;
- Financial management; and
- Career mapping and Development for Teachers
Participants in the CIDA Teacher Development Internship Programme will receive full funding over the two–year period towards:
- Tuition fees for Part-time studies for the PGCE at the University of Johannesburg, including allowance for stationery, books and laptop;
- Student accommodation, transport and living expenses;
- Monthly stipend.
Who Is Eligible?
Candidates should be able to demonstrate:
- A dedication to teaching as a career;
- A strong academic transcript for undergraduate level studies in any of Mathematics, Life Sciences, or Biological studies;
- Effective communication skills; and
- Ability to lead and inspire others, demonstrated by personal experience within your own community.
Please take note that only applicants who fit the criteria below will be considered:
- Bursars must be black South African citizens;
- Bursars must be completing or have already completed studies towards Undergraduate or Postgraduate studies in Mathematics, Life Sciences, or Biological Sciences;
- The student must be willing to register for a part-time-PGCE with University of Johannesburg;
- Bursars must be committed to pursuing a teaching career specialising in Mathematics and Science Subjects at High School level.
Before You BEGIN…
Please ensure you have the following information ready to be uploaded with your application:
- A copy of a certified National Senior Certificate
- Certified copies of other qualifications if applicable
- Academic record/s
- A copy of your certified ID
- A written submission of not more than 500 words entitled Teaching
- A video recording not longer than 1min 30 seconds entitled About Me
This application will take you about 15-20 minutes. Ensure that you have a good stable internet connection to be able to upload your application and attachments. You can also use your mobile device for the completion of this application.