Bursary Requirements And Eligibility
To apply to the Funza bursary online you should meet the below minimum entry requirements:
- South African citizen
- Good academic performance
- Graduates who want to complete a teaching degree or want to become teachers (Postgraduate Certificate in Education) and have already been accepted at an accredited public University.
- Applicants who want to make a career change and become teachers in this country, show dedication and passion for a professional career in teaching, display interest in working with young people, are ready to face and handle difficult challenges and have personal integrity.
- Higher Education Institution employees, their spouse and their dependents/children are not eligible.
- Two of the priority area subjects must be included as a specialisation in the teaching qualification.
For 1st time entrants to university:
- Proof of admission to bachelor’s degree studies pass at matric/Grade 12 level.
- Minimum level 4 rating at matric level in the subject which the applicant will specialize to teach.
- A pass in Mathematics or Mathematical Literacy at Grade 12 level and a minimum level 4 pass in the Home Language, for students who intend to specialize in the Foundation Phase
- Average of at least 50% for students who have completed matric prior to 2008 when Mathematics was not compulsory
- At least level 4 pass in Mathematics, for students who wish to specialize in the teaching of Technology subjects, including CAT, and who do not have these subjects at matric level
For new applicants already at university:
- Passed all of the modules studied in the last/most recent year of study at the Higher Education Institution
- Minimum 55% average across all the modules studied in the last/most recent year of study at a Higher Education Institution
- Minimum 55% average in modules studied relevant to the priority area teaching specialization in the last/most recent year of study at university
For new applicants enrolling for PGCE:
- Successful completion of a recognized qualification to be admitted for a PGCE
- Must have majored in Psychology and an African Language for a PGCE in Foundation Phase Teaching
- Must have at least TWO recognized priority subjects at second-year level
- Must have adequate modules in the recognized priority subjects
For existing bursary holders:
- Passed at least two-thirds or 66.6% of all the subject modules studied in the last/most recent year of study at the university
- Passed at least two-thirds or 66.6% of the priority subject area modules studied in the last/most recent year of study at the Higher Education Institution
- Passed the priority subject
- Must be proceeding to the next level/year of study
- Must achieve at least 50% average across all subject modules
How To Apply And Application Details
- Funza Lushaka Online application is a must
- Go to the e-Gov portal at www.eservices.gov.za
- Register your online profile by providing your personal details (or login with your previous login details if you already have an account)
- Enter the OTP (One Time Pin) you will receive on your preferred channel to complete the process
- Once logged in, go to the e-Services menu and choose Funza Lushaka Bursary
- Accept the Funza Lushaka terms and conditions to proceed
- On the Dashboard menu, click on the 2022 Application button and follow the steps. completing all the required fields with accurate information.
- Accept the confirmation declaration and receive feedback on the status of the application through email.
- Print the completed online application and submit it to the university where you are accepted and registered.
- Accompany the application form with certified copies of your ID and your academic records:
- Certified copy of Grade 12 result or certificate, for 1st-year students coming out of Grade 12
- Certified copy of the latest academic transcript, for students already at university
- Accompanying documents must be submitted to the applicant’s university coordinator, otherwise, the application will be rejected.
- New applicants are advised to also pursue other funding opportunities such as NSFAS.
- The outcome of the selection process will be available from the University no later than 30 April each year.
- Late applications will not be considered.
- Should applicants need to make changes in their application details, they have access to the online bursary application by going to “Update personal details”. Updating application details is only allowed before the application closing date. Changing institutions and areas of specialization will not be allowed and doing so will subject an application to rejection.
- Application for the bursary is not a guarantee that a student will obtain it.