INVITATION: 2018 SABS Essay Competition
ABOUT THE SABS
The South African Bureau of Standards (SABS) is the nucleus of a national network of stakeholders that ensures that technical requirements in South African National Standards provide the domestic economy with the capability for adoption to the vagaries of a changing global technical framework in order to maintain relevance in the global industry value chain.
The SABS continues to be closely involved in the implementation of the industrial policy action plan by developing standards and establishing capacity to test and certify products and services in order to ensure that targeted industries have sound technical governance to become competitive and thrive.
South African tertiary students from all disciplines are invited to participate in the 2018 SABS Essay Competition under the topic Standards and the Fourth Industrial Revolution.
1st place: R15 000.00 2nd place: R10 000.00 3rd place: R5 000.00
- This competition is open to all South African students currently registered at any institution of higher learning in South Africa, as recognised by the relevant authorities.
- Students must be 35 years old or younger.
- Information and rules of participating in the competition are included below
- All essay entries, including duly completed attached documents, must be submitted to:
email@example.com by 3 October 2018 and must be written in English.
2018 Essay Competition
The winners of this year’s competition will be exposed to the world of the SABS through for example, invitations to participate as observers in SABS Technical Committee/Working Group meetings which are relevant to their eld of study, to learn more about standards; their development and use. They may be requested, if available, to partici- pate in some of the SABS Corporate Social Investments (CSI) initiatives.
In addition, winners will be encouraged to start and continue discussions about standards in their communities and institutions of learning to get South Africans interested in standards and to promote submission of new proposals for the development of national standards to the SABS.
1. Essays must be 3000 to 5000 words; must be typed and submitted electronically as indicated above. 2. Essays must have a cover page indicating
(i) Your name and essay title
(ii) Name of university, programme registered for and year of study (iii) Address
(iv) Phone number
(ix) Word count
3. Essays must be original and unpublished; plagiarised entries will be rejected.
4. Essays must be written by the entrant; co-authored essays will not be accepted.
5. Copyright of the essays entered will be assigned to the South African Bureau of Standards.
* Shortlisted candidates will be invited to the SABS campus in Pretoria, where they will be expected to present a synopsis of their essay.
* Entries missing any of the above information will not be considered.